Saturday, July 25, 2009

Comic-Con Issue #2

So yesterday at Comic-Con, I caught the end of a lecture on the legal issues of comics. Somehow, it was awesome, but I don't know how.

Immediately after, Mike Mignola gave a fantastic talk about how he does his creepy minimalistic artwork. If you don't know who Mike Mignola is, he is the creator of Hellboy. If you do know who Mike Mignola is, you are a nerd.

After a failed attempt to get into a Neil Gaiman panel, my brother and I sat in on a panel with Kevin J. Anderson. I hate Kevin J. Anderson. It wasn't that he seems like a schlock writer who seemed proud that he can pump out a complete novel in about a month. I hate him because he was a self-worshiping jackass who talked shit about some truly great writers like Ray Bradbury.

After Kevin J. Godihatethisguy, Stephan Pastis, creator of Pearls Before Swine, gave a truly great talk about creating a popular comic strip. He was genuinely funny and self-deprecating. It is no exaggeration to say that the entire room was laughing for most of the panel. Afterwards, he signed books and sketched his characters.

Most of the day, I wandered around the show floor. This was supremely interesting, but i don't have a way to upload the photos I have. Look for that early next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment